Monday, May 17, 2010

The Beginning

Today Jerry and I joined Weight Watchers. 

Last Friday we went to a local restaurant for their all-you-can-eat fish dinner.  As we were getting ready to leave, a lady walked by Jerry and said something.  I didn't catch what she said as she spoke very low and my hearing is not all that good anymore.  Jerry started talking to her, and they were talking about motivation to get up out of their chair after eating a meal.  Jerry proceeded to tell her how he has no motivation to do anything anymore, how I have tried to get him to get up and to move around, but he thinks it is a lost cause for him.  She told him to hold on a minute, she would be right back with something she thought would help him.

A few minutes later she came back with a Weight Watchers magazine.  We talked another 15 minutes with her, she encouraged us to join this program.  Jerry told her we would, he had nothing to lose in doing so and maybe they would inspire him.

Today, being Monday, was the day we decided to pay Weight Watchers a visit.  Their first meeting of the day was held at 10:30 a.m. and we were there.  We joined on the Monthly Pass membership, which means we can go to as many meetings during the week and month as we want or need to.  We also have access to the website and all it's etools.

Jerry's starting weight is 498.6 pounds.  My starting weight is 298.2 pounds.  No long term goals were set, although Jerry would like to be around 250 pounds, and I would be happy at 165 pounds. 

Weight Watchers encourages you to set small, attainable goals of 5 or 10% of your present weight.  That means a 5 %  weight loss for Jerry would be 25 pounds lost, a 10% would be 49 pounds lost.  My 5 %would be 15 pounds lost and my 10% would be 29 pounds lost.

During the meeting, the instructer spoke on good breakfast options other than a box of cereal.  Lots of the members at the meeting shared what they like for breakfast.  All of it sounded like too little to eat -- a small bagel with peanut butter, or an apple, etc.  Yikes!  We each had 2 pieces of raisin bread, 2 eggs scrambled and 2 pieces of bacon for breakfast this morning!  I do remember days that do not seem so long ago, when a piece of toast with peanut butter was enough for me.  How did I ever let those days get away from me?  Why did I ever let them get away from me?

We have decided to attend as many meetings as we want during the week just to get us motivated.  We would also like to find an instructer we really like.  Today's lady was nice, but she seemd like she was rushing through the whole meeting.  They have different instructers during the week.

There was a lady in our meeting today who has lost 100 pounds.  That is my goal.  Another lady lost 200 pounds as of today... that is Jerry's goal.

Before the meeting this morning, I rushed around getting everything on my to-do list done for the day so that I could spend the afternoon reading through all the materials we got from joining. 

I know I am going to have to keep pushing Jerry and keep motivating him.  When we got home from the meeting he handed me his record book and told me to do it all and just tell him what he needs to do and he will do it.  He is very depressed about his weight for the past few weeks.  I am hoping once he sees some improvement and lost weight, that he will decide to get excited about this program.  I think right now it seems so overwhelming to him and he feels he has such a hill to climb before he sees progress that he doesn't even know where to start.

I know how to lose weight, I know what I need to do.  I just have not found the motivation to do it at all.  I am so disgusted with myself.  I am hoping the weekly meetings will be what gets and keeps me going on losing weight.

No comments: